from Pontardawe Hub
AboutThe Forge Fach Falls are located on the lower Clydach River, in the village of Clydach. To visit the falls continue straight ahead on the cycle path just after the Vale refinery. Route 43 to Swansea branches off and over the River Tawe just after the Vale refinery (see Pics). After a short distance along the link cycle path you will find yourself in the village of Clydach with numerous cafes and shops. The falls are located adjacent to the community centre.
HistoryThe upper weir is a substantial stone structure sitting upon a small waterfall. It was built to serve the Clydach Mill or Lower Forge, dual leats (one to the mill and one to the canal) still existing in 1838. The canal feeder was later used to drive two waterwheels, one erected in 18891 to drive the sawmill on the canal bank and another erected on the feeder in 1891.2 The upper stone weir, which is in good condition, is still maintained by British Waterways. Modern paddle gearing controls the opening into the southbound feeder, now mostly culverted. The Mond Nickel Works uses the Lock 5-6 pound as a water supply.
Business Hours: Open 24 hoursMonOpen 24 hoursTueOpen 24 hoursWedOpen 24 hoursThuOpen 24 hoursFriOpen 24 hoursSatOpen 24 hoursSunOpen 24 hours